Display Energy Certificates (DECs) show the actual energy usage of a building, the Operational Rating, and help the public see the energy efficiency of a building.  It identifies the actual energy use of a building and compares this against the energy use for a benchmark building of the same type.   

Display Energy Certificates are required for all public buildings with a floor area greater than 250m2.  The aim of these is to show transparency and so the public can easily and clearly receive energy information about a building they are visiting.  

Display Energy Certificates are valid for one year and is always accompanied by an Advisory Report; this report highlights recommendations to improve the energy performance of the building.  The accompanying Advisory Report is valid for 7 years and should be kept on file.  The DEC should be clearly displayed at all times in a prominent place clearly visible to the public.

How we can help:

We will establish the Asset and Operational ratings of your building’s energy efficiency before issuing the certificate.  One of our accredited assessors will also inspect your air conditioning and heating systems using detailed operational rating software.

Along with the certificate, you will be given an advisory report detailing the steps you need to take in order to increase the operational energy efficiency of your building. The DEC is valid for one year and should be on display at all times, failure to do can result in a fine. 

What is the difference between an EPC and a DEC?

A public building with a high Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating is not guaranteed to be energy efficient. An EPC only provides indication of the potential for energy efficiency and carbon emissions. If the operation of the building is unnecessarily wasteful, then the energy efficiency performance of the building is unlikely to reach its potential. A Display Energy Certificate (DEC) assesses the actual energy efficiency of those who manage and use the building.

Get in touch:

Our team are here to answer any of your queries, or if you would like a FREE quotation, please give us a call on 0333 5777 577 or fill in our contact form and we will get back to you.




Get in touch:

Our team are here to answer any of your queries, or if you would like a FREE quotation, please give us a call on 
0333 5777 577 or fill in our contact form and we will get back to you.




Top Tips:

  • DECs must be carried out by a qualified energy assessor.
  • A DEC shows the buildings Operational Rating and should be displayed in a prominent position in your building i.e your reception.
  • DEC and the advisory report is required for buildings with a total useful floor area over 250m² that are occupied in whole or part by public authorities and frequently visited by the public.
  • A Commercial building can have a DEC completed on it.